Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'll be Home for Christmas????

Yesterday I just barely made it to Redding airport, because my ride slept in (I was up at 2:00 AM even though I didn't need to leave until 5:00 AM because I was too excited to sleep!) I was the last person to check in, just as they announced they were closing the check in counter. I breathed a sigh of relief, cleared security, and waited impatiently to board the plane so I could start my journey home. They got us loaded on the plane around 6:00 AM and shortly thereafter we were informed  that the fire detection system wasn't working so our flight was cancelled. The soonest flight they could get us out of Redding was the next evening at 8:00 PM. This was not an OK option for me, so I called the airline and they said if I could get to San Francisco they could get me on the 11:24 AM flight, and if I missed that one there was a flight at 8:00 PM. By this time it was just after 7:00 AM.

The only problem was how was I going to get to San Francisco airport (SFO) in less than 4 hours when I had not transportation (I needed to be at the airport by 10:45 to check in). It is at least at 3 hour drive to SFO , and that is if there is no traffic - which is a rarity I was told. The car rental desks weren't open and
the only one that had a phone number wouldn't be answering calls until 7:30. I called my house family and asked one of them to pick me up and take me to a car rental place in town in hopes that I just might make it in time. As I was making these arrangements, a gentleman walked up to me and informed me that his wife was coming to pick him up and drive him to SFO and I could ride with them if I liked - he had a connection he had to make at 1:30. They could not guarantee that I would get there by 10:45, but were willing to try. I took them up on there offer and had a wonderful trip down to SFO with them. They were asking me lots of questions about school and pointing out various points of interest along the way. The other times I had driven down to the Bay Area it was dark, so I did not have the opportunity to see many of the sights. It was like a bonus road trip! When we got into San Francisco, they would not let me pay for gas or the toll on the Bay Bridge, saying I was like one of their kids! They were even asking if I'd be willing to puppy/house sit and that I would be able to have a bunch of friends over! It was an amazing connection to make, a unique experience of incredible hospitality from complete strangers. I feel like a special relationship has started with this wonderful couple, and I'm excited to see what God does with it.

We got to SFO at 10:30, hitting absolutely no traffic to speak of. They said they had never seen traffic so clear in SFO and it was like a miracle.......(Thanks Papa God!!!). I arrived with just enough time for to check in, clear security, and get on my flight. And I didn't have to pay for my baggage (despite the fact it was overweight - shocking I know)! All in all, I arrived in Calgary only 3 hours later than originally planned - absolutely incredible considering that at 7:00 AM I was more less stranded at the Redding airport.  I'm just waiting now to see what the airline is going to do to compensate me for the cancelled flight - they have promised "something" but I'm don't know what that is yet! For me, this experience was an stunning example of how much the Lord looks out for me and takes care of things when I trust Him. Sure things didn't go as I had planned, but He clearly demonstrated that He had everything perfectly under control. Thank you Papa! 
I am very excited to be home for Christmas and to catch up with my family and friends. It is so good to be back, although I'm already starting to wonder why in the world I was craving snow so badly! It's cold!!!!! 
 Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment